Tufts University Renovations to Paige and Miner Halls
Paige and Miner Halls’ historic masonry buildings are prominently located at the top of Memorial Steps at Tufts’ Medford campus. The buildings were separately constructed in 1892 and 1910, and were later connected with a masonry arcade. An inspection and condition assessment of the two buildings’ deteriorated facades, roofs and connecting arcade was conducted and design and construction documents were prepared for replacement of the slate roofs with new copper roof drainage, replacement of the arcade roofing with new four-ply built-up roofing and flashing, repointing brick masonry facades, repairs and application of protective coating to the extensive terra cotta trim detailing, repairs and replacement of cast stone and limestone trim, reconstruction of precast stone cornices, replacement of face brick in areas of severe deterioration, repair of two large chimneys and repair and gilding of a large cupola along with stiffening the cupola’s support structure. The project was completed in 2004.